First Date and a Credit Check

I went on a first date/blind date/thingy a few weeks ago. (Life has been that busy; I'm just now writing about it) I knew the kid, sort of, but never had deep conversation with him. So after weeks and weeks of him trying to get a date together I agreed to meet up at Starbucks.

Nothing too terrible happened on the date. I do the whole first date thing rather well, if I do say so myself. I mean really, I'm all that and a bag of chips. So I'm sitting there listening to him go on and on. By the end of the thirty minute conversation I think I said five sentences. This is what I learned during his monologue at Starbucks:

1. He makes 13 dollars and hour.
2. He is content to make 13 dollars an hour as a career.
3. I know how much he has in the bank.
4. All his past exes and their jobs and how much each made.
5. He travels all over the country for free because of the people he knows.
6. Thirty minutes is waaaaayyyy too long with this guy.

Who on Earth gives this sort of information out to someone they hardly know. Maybe he was trying to impress me. I'm not that kind of guy, and a four figure income wouldn't impress me even if I were. Where's the ambition, the drive, the goals? Only two people in my life, other than me, know how much I make, both of them are my bosses.

Also, giving a complete catalog of your past, failed relationships is probably not first date material. That's more like fifth date or something. When testing someone out to see if they are date-able, cause that's what a first date really boils down to, you don't want to hear the repeated failures and countless boys you need to measure up to. Now I know some of you are thinking, "Hey now Mr. Synical, past relationships aren't really failures. You always learn something." I agree, but in this case the failure label kind of fits for each relationship. All were flight attendants. All ended horribly. None taught the boy how to go on a nice date or have conversation.

Overall it was a train wreck of a date. Nothing there to even form a friendship from. I did manage to get some good reading in before he showed up. I guess that's the silver lining. Props to Mom for suggesting Last Lecture. :-p

2 comments:

TJ said...

what is "props"?

Stone said...

Props...Kudos