Love!?!

Most of you already know how I feel about love. It's a chemical addiction/reaction based on what you get from the other person. Once you stop getting those things from them you can just as easily fall out of love with them. About a month ago, my theory changed. I know, I know. Austin and love? That's like a duck and peanut butter. What happened you might ask. Did baby Jesus come down and show Austin the error of his ways? No such luck.

I was driving to work, stopped at a stoplight, spying in on the people beside me. It was a Dad and his little kid. The kid was locked into his car seat in the back seat, crying his eyes out. All of a sudden the Dad turns around and makes this horrible, funny? face. Instantly the kid cheers up. He does it a few more times, before the light changes. Big deal right? It got my thinking however. That's Love. This guy is making a fool out of himself, just to make his kid happy. He's not getting anything out of it. He wasn't irritated by the crying or trying to make the boy shut up. It was an act purely for making the little one happy. I pulled past them, when the light changed, smiling to myself. Now that's Love.

It's not this immature, "I have to see you or I'll die" crap, or "I love you I love you I love you" B.S. Love is the desire to make someone happy, just to make them happy. I want someone that will make a fool of themselves when I have a bad day. I want someone to make smile in the car. I'm in no hurry. It will come, haven't found that yet though. Till then I'll wait patiently. Thanks dude in car that I laughed at. Your awesome.

1 comments:

Nathan said...

Very true. Life should be lived with the intent to have someone to smile with, to make smile, and to make you smile. It's the little things like that in life that encourage us to be amazing and allow us to be loved. I can only hope we all get the chance to wake up one day and allow ourselves to be so selfless at the benefit of someone else. I like the person you've become, Austin. It's not so dark and cynical as it once was.