Coming Out Day

October 11th is coming up. If you didn't know, that's official coming out day as decreed by the queers in power. The whole "coming out" process is a emotionally draining, difficult, agonizing process that is totally worth it and life changing. It's a deeply personal choice and one that has to be tackled with great sincerity. Personally, I wish I had done it sooner, my family and friends are awesome and I was greatly surprised. That said....Come out of the closet!!!

Sociology has taught us that coming out is great for the community at large. Its a huge step in the right direction for the entire Alphabet Soup (LGBTQAITAP) community. I know some of you guys and gals hate the whole community thing, hate being part of the group with ferries and flamers, but I hate to break it to you, your one of us. The Cohert Effect says that people who have a gay friend are more likely to accept the whole life style. Imagine that. If someone has a gay friend they seem to realize that we aren't all pedophiles and Satan worshipers who recruit little boys (I've heard that argument first hand). Its part of the whole Pride ideology; become visible in your communities, don't act like you are ashamed, and others (hopefully straight people as well) will follow.

I encourage all my gay friends to come out if they are able. Come out to your friends, family, strangers, dog. I know it's not that simple always, but sometimes that "they'll hate me, they'll abandon me" excuse is just that, an excuse. If that's you, take advantage of October 11th, take advantage of the excuse that everyone else is doing it, take advantage of this opportunity to better our community and act together.

0 comments: