Love!? (Late V-Day Post)

I've been misquoted a few times that I don't believe in love. I believe in love. It's an emotion, an attachment, and a powerful force. I think where the confusion comes from is when people realize that I don't believe it is something mystical. I don't believe in "the one" or some magical love that goes beyond this world we live in. That isn't to say however that I can't love, that I can't spend the rest of my life with one person, or that I am unable to sacrifice for a person I truly love.

Lately I've been hearing the word "love" being thrown around and bastardized. My friends are on the phone and tell their friends they love them. They explain how they still love their exes. They use love as a catch all for caring emotions. That's friendship and compassion. Outside my family there probably is one or two people I truly love. I would sacrifice everything for them, I would take a bullet to protect them and would come running if they called. That's love.

We hear the word love used so flippantly these days. Celebrities fall in and out of love daily. Songs spout out lyrics about love gained, lost, and rediscovered. That's right, I don't believe in that love. I believe in Love that is illogical, uncontrollable, inconvenient, and painful. Love that is not able to be fallin out of and love that is not casual. No I'm not a romantic, I'm just tired of the violation of a word that used to mean so much more.

0 comments: